Small scale tectonics
- Effect of water on the mechanical behaviour of rocks
- Microfracturing, Stress-Corrosion
- Pressure solution
- Force of crystallisation (e.g. gypsum)
- Experimental deformation of quartz plus water in-situ in diamond anvil press
- Texture and fabric development
- Deformation driven by chemical reactions
Selected experimental projects until November 2004
- Alpine thrust and nappe tectonics (complex histories; driving force issues, e.g.. gravity)
- Glarus Thrust (complex tectonic history, mapping)
- Mechanical effect of large-scale mass removal by solution transfer
- Extensional core complexes: extensional detachment enigma, role of unconformities
- Major impacts and plate tectonics – impacts driving tectonic processes?
- Intrusion mechanics – solid versus liquid state intrusion.
Research methods include literature study and compilation of existing data, numerical modeling, experimental modeling, field work,
interpretation of small-, meso- and large-scale structures, optical microscopy, SEM- and EBSD-analysis, c-axes analysis,
cooperation with colleagues from other disciplines.
Last updated April 4, 2009